Have you heard about capillarity? It is a fascinating phenomenon where sap circulates through the trees, and then maple water drips into your bucket !!!
Here is a little experiment that will help you better understand this phenomenon.
• 2 saucers
• 1 piece of wool
• Food coloring to help you observe and understand the phenomenon.
• Mix a few drops of food coloring into a 1/4 cup of water.
• Add your colored water to one of the two saucers.
• Put the two saucers side by side.
• Wet your piece of wool and put each end in the middle of each saucer.
• Now watch what happens… Look! The water is circulating around one end of the piece of wool just like when the sap circulates in the trees’ fibres.
Just like the maple water that drips into the bucket, your water is going to travel through the piece of wool and flow into the other saucer.
IT’S ALL DONE!
Have you ever gone to a sugar shack and tasted the maple water that is dripping into the buckets on the trees ?
I hope you had fun making this activity with me!
Come back soon!
Your friend, Crafty xx
Message to the adult : to receive our activities at the beginning of each month in a printable version, join our magical universe. It’s free!
DAYCARES AND SCHOOLS: 25% OFF and more! Contact us!
Each book is made with love and designed in our workshop in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu.
Fundraiser for Daycares – Schools – Organizations
FREE delivery from 100$ purchase (Canada)